Welcome Coyotes and Bobcats!
We will come together as a learning community to study social science to develop our thinking and communication skills. Social Science helps us to better understand the world around us through patterns, functions, systems, and behaviors. Statistics, critical thinking, research, and qualitative and quantitative measures help us to celebrate and identify the way our social structures support us.
Parents: The curriculum materials are posted to keep families informed on topics discussed. These topics are modified for age groups. Students will be challenged to develop their critical thinking skills and express ideas and opinions.
Social Studies 9/6/2023 Art/Social Science Combo
Select a philosophy and complete the analysis worksheet.
Present your chosen philosophy and share your insight with the group.
Create your own philosophy and apply it to your poster board.
Tahoe Keys Part I, Research and Opposing Viewpoints
9/11/2023 Social Science
* Drone Flight over The Keys with Walk to the lagoon.
* Getting the facts worksheet.
Tahoe Keys Part II, Solutions and Perceptions
9/18/2023 Social Science
* What we know. Lesson review of fact worksheet.
Solutions, Predictions, How community agencies find balance towards change. Blanket policy or specific regulations for the Tahoe Keys?
* Worksheet: If I had the power to change regulations I would . . . .
Identifying Roles of Local Government: City, County, and State
9/25/2023 Social Science
* Lecture: Let’s chart it out and get the numbers. Census populations! Who decides what? Funding projects and services?
* Poster Board Charts:
Identify: State, County, and City entities. What makes up our public services: schools, judicial systems, health systems, safety, utilities, ect.
* Watch: Voting and Taxes Example: https://cavotes.org/vote/elections/ballot-measures/proposition-56-cigarette-tax-fund-healthcare-tobacco-use-prevention
The Philosophy of Competition and The Race to The Moon
10/2/2023 Social Science
North American Agriculture Part I, Historical Considerations
10/9/2023 Social Science
North American Agriculture Part II The Future of Agriculture
10/16/2023 Social Science
The Food - Health Connection. What are doctors saying?
10/23/2023 Social Science
* Submit querries to a licensed dietician/nutritionist.
Preserving The Past, Artifacts From Early Civilizations.
10/30/2023 Social Science
Preserving The Past, Tahoe and the Washoe People.
11/6/2023 Social Science
Preserving our land: The story of the National Park System and California.
11/13/2023 Social Science
11/27/2023 Social Science
The Curb Cut Effect and Americans with Disabilities Act and IDEA.
12/4/2023 Social Science
Community Celebrations: The Importance of Bringing People Together.
12/11/2023 Social Science
Family Celebrations and Traditions: The Roles of Families and Quality of Life.
12/18/2023 Social Science
* If you grow up to have a family, what would you want your family values to be? There are no wrong answers. What makes a strong foundation for us to thrive and grow? External qualities - like fresh air, warm shelter, access to good food, consistent routines. Internal qualities - telling family members how you feel about them, doing small things to show your love and support? Creating negativity or positivity in the home. What about cooperation?